The 20 young Africans selected to participate in the Creative Young Innovators Lab will work during 4 days (from 20 to 23 November 2018) in:
- The Cartoon Camp Challenge, in view of helping the participants to project themselves into the future. The Cartoon Camp promotes a mindset conducive to innovation. Building dreams is at the root of any innovation project. The Cartoon Camp will create an innovation-friendly environment that facilitates the transformation of good ideas into useful products and services to support the transition towards sustainable cities and territories in Africa at the 2030 horizon and at the 2063 horizon.
The Cartoon Camp will help the youth to think about smart cities and smart economies based on African values and producing an adequate standard of living for Africans. The Cartoon Camp will allow young people to think about Africa with all its imperfections and all its qualities and to suggest solutions inspired by local know-how but also by new technologies. Projects may concern: § the organization of city systems in different countries or the continent as a whole; § spatial Planning or organization of a particular city in a certain country; § the proposal of types of construction, buildings, housing, equipment, street furniture or any other product, highlighting the inclusion in a dynamic of sustainable development taking into account the latest technological developments and the respect for the most fundamental African values.
- The Virtual Reality Contest that will consist of a hackathon competition. Participants will conceptualize, create and plan prototypes of IT solutions to speed up the transition towards sustainable cities and territories in Africa, with a priority given to the following areas:
- energy solutions
- food security
- access to water and sanitation services, waste management and waste valorisation
- development and maintenance of infrastructure for transport, mobility and telecommunication
- tourism, culture and heritage
- health systems
- other solutions…
The qualified prototypes will then be submitted to the Africities 2018 delegates for the designation of the 3 best projects of the Creative Lab, Virtual Reality Category, during the AWARD Ceremony of the closing Gala Dinner on 24 November 2018.